Firmware update EMUI 10.1, the release Huawei announced earlier this week, surprised almost all smartphone users of the Chinese brand. Still, in the absence of support from Google, it’s quite problematic to hide a major update with new features. But, as it turned out, it was this that prompted Huawei to release EMUI 10.1 with new features and services, so as to strengthen its position on the current ban on the use of Google services.
It was reported that about 30 Huawei devices will receive the update, however, no one has said whether the Honor brand devices will be included in this number. Even official manufacturer representatives were silent about this information, not to mention the timing of launch. However, today the situation has improved, because we were told more information about devices that will receive EMUI 10.1 and the release dates of the beta version of the update.
Which devices will upgrade to EMUI 10.1?
- Huawei Mate 20 / Mate 20 Pro / Mate 20 RS Porsche Design / Mate 20 X 4G
- Huawei Nova 6 / Nova 6 5G / Nova 6 SE
- Huawei MatePad Pro
- Huawei MatePad M6 10.8
- Huawei MediaPad M6 8.4
- Huawei MediaPad M6 Turbo Edition
- Huawei P30 / P30 Pro
- Huawei Mate 30 4G / Mate 30 5G / Mate 30 Pro 4G / Mate 30 Pro 5G / Mate 30 RS Porsche Design
- Huawei Mate 20 X 5G
- Huawei Mate Xs
- Huawei Mate X
- Huawei Nova 5 / Nova 5 Pro / Nova 5i Pro / Nova 5z
- Huawei Enjoy 10S
- Honor V30 / V30 Pro
- Honor View 20
- Honor 20/20 Pro / 20S / 20 Lite
- Honor Magic 2
- Honor 9X / 9X Pro
When will EMUI 10.1 be released?
For some of the devices on this list, Huawei has already launched a beta program. However, only those who received an official invitation from Huawei itself can take part in it. A set of beta testers will be contacted for the beta, which will last until the end of April. From this, we can conclude if testing the update takes at least a month, then the first devices will begin to receive the release version closer to May, and all subsequent devices will receive it before the end of summer.
What’s New in EMUI 10.1?
EMUI 10.1 is a fairly large-scale update, which will include many design improvements to the firmware interface, as well as a number of new functions previously unavailable to users of Huawei smartphones.
- Voice Assistant Celia (only supports English, French, and Spanish)
- Service for video calls MeeTime (similar to Duo from Google and FaceTime from Apple)
- Advanced system features (receiving and making calls from a computer, remote access to files, etc.)
- Advanced features of Huawei share data exchange technology
- Drag and drop function support for quick file transfer between different applications
- Special interface panel for controlling the smart home.
As you can see, the longer Huawei lives without Google services, the stronger it becomes and the more its smartphones get its own services. Take for example the assistant and video call service, MeeTime. A year ago, the Chinese didn’t plan to launch them and now when there is no particular hope for the return of Google Mobile Services to branded smartphones, the company’s developers have to get out of this situation on their own. Therefore, I personally would really like this to continue and Google won’t provide a license to cooperate with Huawei, so that Huawei has an additional incentive to develop its system.